Search This Blog

Monday, December 13, 2010

That One-Word Theme for the Year

If you've followed my blog for while, you know I've become a big fan of the One-Word Theme - thanks in large part to Christine Kane.  Let's face it - 'traditional' style New Year's resolutions rarely survive past the first week.  It's easy to see why - a traditional New Year's resolution is little more than a wish.  Wishes are too vague to prompt any kind of action.  A wish that has been honed with specificity is no longer a wish, it's now a goal.  Goals beg for action.

The One-Word theme helps you paint a picture of what you want your coming year to look like.  You look around you and decide what needs to be changed. What are your goals for the coming year? Can they be brought together with a single word?

For 2009 I set my theme with 'Commit'. It was a strong action word that helped me realize a set of goals that felt impossible at the time.  What, fly to Scotland for a 3-week solo adventure, travel around the country just me and my backpack, and make it happen with my painted feathers? And pull that together in 7 months' time??  Something like that required commitment.  Purchasing my plane ticket early in the year was definitely a commitment to that goal.

2010 was a bit of a wash. My goals lacked the specificity and time deadlines that 2009 had.  My word was weak and fuzzy too. 'Grow'.  Not good enough to really make things develop.  If there's anything I've learned about this one-word theming of a year, it requires planning and dedication.  The more committed you are (there's that word again), the more effective it will be for you.

After a bit of study, heavy thinking and contemplation, running about the internet making parallels and comparisons on some of my thoughts and ideas, I've finally settled on a word... but because of the level of effort I put into it this time, it feels more like the word chose me:
Mastery.

I won't go further into that now, but promise to explain it a bit further - a bit later when I've pulled the information together.  This one is using a little more than a set of goals and a one-word theme, and has had a lot of thought put into it.

Do you have a theme for your 2011?

"Raven Steals The Sun" painted rawhide drum.  (C) Julie Thompson

No comments: