Search This Blog

Monday, July 22, 2013

Painted Feathers - price increase, but not just yet!

Every visual artist faces this inevitable situation - with the cost of framing supplies and art supplies continually going up, as well as a substantial increase in requests for commissioned work,  so too must the price of those finished works follow suit.

I've held off on this decision as long as I possibly could.  I'm only making a modest raise this year, to help compensate for the higher quality frames purchased from Lucas Art Gallery, a quality investment whose difference in cost I have simply absorbed over the past couple of years.

The value of the work has gone up as well, I do think.  For the past couple of years I've put a lot of focus into improving what I do, seeing the light and portraying the details to the best of my ability.  Each painting teaches me things that I apply to the next, and with each painting I try to push the quality a little past that point of the preceding painting.  The result is growth.  The result also is much more time spent on each piece.  That means fewer paintings overall but it also means a higher standard of quality.

The price of each custom framed single-feather painting, whether it is a completed work from studio inventory or is a privately commissioned specific piece, will go from $275 to $295, effective November 1st 2013.  If you have already requested work from me, don't worry your price will not go up.  Likewise, if you send me a request for a commissioned piece before the November 1st deadline, your price will hold at $275.  Setting this date as such, I think, will allow sufficient time to discuss, design, complete and ship requested paintings intended for Christmas gifts.

In the meantime, I continue working through this queue of commissions that shall remain firm at $275.  I love the variety of subjects and ideas that have found their way to my work table, and with so many purposes too! Most have been requested as gifts - Scouting, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, and those that are most delightful, 'just because'!  I thank you for these opportunities, it is such a treat to work with each commissioner individually and through telephone or email conversation come up with the most appropriate image for each recipient.

Asil Arabian horse, details of the painting completed and ready for framing. Privately commissioned

Asil Arabian horse, now fully matted and framed at 8" x 18", ready for shipment to a private collector in Birmingham England.


No comments: