Search This Blog

Friday, January 30, 2015

2015's Word of the Year

With the recent writing challenge, I'm striving to post to this blog twice weekly; Tuesdays and Fridays.  Let's see how that goes.

Those of you who read me fairly regularly, either here or on Facebook, know that I've been using Christine Kane's 'Word of the Year' angle of designing and developing focus for the year at hand, instead of doing the old tired New Year's resolutions.  It has transformed how a 12-month period manifests itself for me, and what I learn along the way.

Climbing Sulphur Mtn. in Banff to leave a stone
 in memory of  my brother
Last year's word was 'Adventure!' and I certainly had a few of those. One of the things that word taught me is that no matter the significant situation, even when it's a bad situation, positive things can be had from it. Memorable things. Even a grim matter can be  turned, at least in small part, into a positive thing, and yes, even into a bit of an adventure.

This year begins with many things on my radar, things that must be carefully planned for, and potential things that absolutely cannot be planned for but instead will require enough mental agility for them to be met head-on.  I need to learn many things, develop new skills, brush up on old skills and train physically in order to achieve all that can be achieved in this summer's adventure.

At the end of last year, all this was written down and attentively examined in order to come up with a good focus word for 2015. It didn't take long before a potential word stood out clearly from the other candidates.  Vitality!  That's the one.  Here are a few definitions that really ring out for me - exuberant strength and mental vigor; the state of being strong or active, energy; a lively or energetic
One of the easier climbs here in Washington. I'll be
hitting many hikes and overnighters in the coming
months to increase my strength and stamina.
quality; the capacity to live or develop, also physical or mental vigor; the quality or state of abundant or intense activity; power of enduring.

Many of the synonyms are even more appealing than mere definition:  buoyancy, brightness, cheer, pizazz, sparkle, zest, verve, vivacity, drive, spiritedness, keenness, ebullience, enthusiasm, fire, passion, mettle, power, stamina, fitness, hardiness, health, wellness.

Vitality needs to be present in the work I produce, as well - in imagery and in writing. So, with thoughts on all the matters that lie ahead this summer, much of it quite physical and other aspects involving significant learning and a certain amount of agility in attitude and direction, 'vitality' is certainly a good word to embrace in all its aspects.

No comments: