Search This Blog

Monday, August 02, 2010

Expanding with New Items

Well, I've fallen behind with the blog again!  Back to it, 'get back on that horse and ride' as they say.

 I love to experiment and try some new things.  Inspiration was first sparked by seeing a book listed with North Light, detailing how to paint on tiles.  Those flames were further fanned when I posted some attempts to Facebook and friends expanded on ideas.



The thing I like about these is the functionality.  I've done art for the walls for a long time, but had not tried anything that can be used.  So this is fun!  The tiles are 6 inches by 6 inches and have felt pads beneath, so they make dandy trivets for the kitchen.  Each has been sealed to protect the painting.



I've been getting more and more involved with Highland Games and with our own Clan Tent, and have been inspired to try some work in Celtic-style design:


This creative play has brought on encouragement from a friend to try combining Celtic with Pacific Northwestern Coastal work, which is something I was experimenting with years ago but have been wanting to try again.  This one below is from a design I tried with Herons years ago, and was eager to give it another go.  It's not easy squeezing PNW design elements into a Celtic shape!


These have proven to be quite popular, as no two are exactly alike and they are an affordable $20 each plus shipping.  All of these except for the PNW Elk have already sold, with several requests for more.  I've been asked to try other color schemes with the herons, and for other Celtic and PNW style animals, as well as more of the thistle.  If one of these 6" x 6" hand-painted tiles is something you would like to have, leave a comment or drop me a note at featherlady@comcast.net.


Here's a different one, again inspired by activity with Highland Games.  It's a 4" square tile with thick felt pads beneath to protect your furniture, for use as a drink coaster.  This one is painted with my clan crest, MacLeod of Harris.  I can do any family crest requested, these are $10 each or $30 for a set of 4.

Experimenting with new things does inspire creativity - the more you play, the more you want to try more new things!

No comments: