Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

a class with Fred Oldfield

This was a totally new experience for me! I did the mountain scene on 16x20 canvas and solely with a palette knife. I'm a detail freak, so it was hard to keep everything soft. I kept wanting to give more attention to those rocks in the foreground, but Fred would bring them back down again, advising me to "keep 'em soft". Thanks to Fred, I'm beginning to lose my fear of oils. It is my hope to have a couple of canvases worth hanging by the time the October "Celebration of Western and Wildlife Art" show comes around.

3 comments:

Robin Weiss said...

Hi Julie! Nice painting! I'm also a western Wa. painter. There are several of us now. Ill link you.
Best RW

J Matt Miller said...

Excellent Julie! If oils are new to you, you are catching on quick.

Dean H. said...

Love your work, Julie! The feather paintings are very impressive.
Thanks for the link to my blog. I have linked you at Deano's Den.
Best wishes, Dean