Search This Blog

Friday, February 05, 2010

Painted Feathers for our Future Leaders

Art auction donation is a topic frequently talked about by artists.  There is a plethora of wonderful causes out there to contribute to, but I tend to stick to the ones near and dear to my heart. 

One such organization is the Boy Scouts of America.  I've two sons, one was a Boy Scout and was in the position of Senior Patrol Leader for his Troop.  That experience has served him well as he embarks on his path in the Navy.  His younger brother is still in Scouts.  I've seen all the wonderful good that Scouting does for kids, the confidence it brings them, the direction, the leadership skills, the ability to work well with others, the tools necessary for setting and meeting goals, and for succeeding in life. 

It is for those reasons that I continue to contribute to the BSA.  I've supported units, projects on Scout camps, and OA Section events.  These youth are our future leaders. Attached here is one that I've painted for W-1N Conclave.  The section designations changed last year, and this feather represents those changes.  It also shows Pacific Northwestern natives arriving for Potlatch, representing the youth who converge from all the Lodges within a Section for the annual Conclave event.  This was auctioned at last year's Conclave hosted by T'Kope Kwiskwis Lodge of Chief Seattle Council and went to support this year's program, to be hosted by Nisqually Lodge of Pacific Harbors Council.

This year I want to mix it up a bit and provide an auction donation that's not like those of past years.  It'll still be a feather painting, but I want to possibly make it a double-feather presentation, and maybe include something else in the frame.  This piece isn't too clear in my head yet, and I will be seeking input from the youth.  This is for them, after all, and it is their program, and I'd like them to think about what might draw good support in an auction.

What organizations are near and dear to your heart, and why?

No comments: